My Little Munchkins!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Saturday, June 6, 2009

One Year Ago

One year ago, I was sitting where I am presently very much pregnant. Yes, I am at work on a Saturday, but that's another issue. In any case... at this time last year, I was 38 weeks pregnant and not scheduled to give birth for another 11 days.


At this time last year:

* I was 28 pounds heavier.

* I was a family of two and a dog.

* I was feeling like a beached whale.

* I was getting ready to go on maternity leave... in fact that this was going to be my last day at work. I wanted to have a nice week and a half off to relax.

* I came to work, but left halfway through my shift because I couldn't sit still and my back was hurting.

* I went and got my pedicure... I wanted to push with pink toes.

* I felt an urge to vacuum because I didn't know when I'd be able to do it again.

* I straightened up the house and got a shopping list ready so I could start making dinners to freeze, save and reheat.

* Took the dog out for a walk.

* Got the mail and saw that I had a little ticket that the mail lady couldn't deliver a package.

* Took the dog out for another walk to try and catch the mail lady. Mission accomplished.

* Thought about writing my thank you note for the nice Dr. Seuss quilt I received.

* Sat down to enjoy a strawberry milkshake from Burgerville and called my mom to tell her that she could wait to fly out until after my next OB appt.

* Got my first contraction at 3:12 pm.

* Felt like I had to go to the bathroom and found out that my water broke.


Nine hours later and only 5 hours of active labor I had a beautiful baby girl. My life has changed greatly and I am enjoying every single minute of it.


What has changed?

* I no longer get to sleep in.

* I revel in the fact that my little girl has finally pooped!

* Love to watch her instead of TV.

* Getting out the door takes about two minutes longer than previously.

* Going out on dates with just me and Brad are few and far between.

* There are now sometimes four bodies in one queen sized bed.

* I put myself last... always Amelia first.


Things I've learned:

* Relax and go with the flow.

* The house work can wait.

* I love my husband even more than the day I married him.

* The love between a child and a mother is something you cannot explain or put into words.


I knew motherhood was going to be difficult... but I didn't realize it was going to be so much fun at the same time. The rewards are so great and those little crises are just a drop in the bucket. The missteps far outweigh the pluses of watching your little one grow. I am savoring every moment and every day. Tomorrow will be a bitter sweet moment as I watch my little munchkin leave the baby stage and into a toddler. However, I am excited to see what the next day brings as she starts exploring her world more and interacting with things.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Aww...that was a great post! I can still remember the day you posted on BBC and said your water broke and you were waiting for DH to get home! I was so excited for you! I hope Amelia has a WONDERFUL 1st birthday! Lots of Love, Brooke and Landon!

Kelli said...

Can you believe TTC and the long winding path brought us all together almost THREE years ago? Look at where we all are now!! This was a beautiful post, Holls. Brought a tear to my eye. Wish we could be there helping you guys celebrate! You are a terrific mother and a very genuine compassionate human being- I am glad we crossed "paths" 3 yrs ago this fall! Happy Birthday, Amelia!!! Love, Kelli & Delaney

Annie said...

Aw Holly that was a GREAT post. You are right, you can not put motherhood into words or even begin to describe the love between a mother and child. It truly has to be FELT and is amazing. Just like Kelli said - I am eternally grateful we all crossed paths. You ladies are the best!!!! Happy 1st Birthday Amelia welcome to toddler-hood...!

M said...

Really? She had to turn one? I might cry... (ok, I actually am - but I'm pregnant give me a break!)

Happy first birthday Amelia! You have an amazing mommy and I am so excited to continue to watch you grow up!

Great post Holls

Loves!